If you follow me on Instagram or know me in person, you’re probably aware that I’m always trying to do better for the planet.
Wether that be refusing a plastic bag, using a reusable coffee cup or storing things in jars.
Recently, we got a Bulk Barn in my town only a 15 MINUTE WALK from my apartment, so I had to go check it out and it was so exciting! (Previously my closest location was 1.5hrs away by transit, so not ideal).
Now I know you’re probably thinking “Jess grocery stores do have bulk sections within them” which is true, but I always find they’re often small and have a limited selection of items.
I also really enjoy Bulk Barn, because you can bring your own jars or containers, which many grocery stores don’t allow you to do! I do have some cloth bags I ordered for my bulk needs, and they do wonders, as well as I made a few larger ones for items like long pasta noodles.
You can find similar cloth bags to the ones I’ve previously ordered here.
If you sign up for Bulk Barn emails, you can receive emails with a coupon for $3 of a purchase of $10 or more, as well as their weekly deals for 30% off certain items.
Below I will list some of my favourite bulk finds:
- Nuts – cashews, almonds, walnuts, hazelnuts, etc.
- Flours – this is great for if you want to try a new recipe that calls for a flour you don’t regularly use.
- Hemp Hearts and Chia Seeds
- Spices – they have every spice I could think of and I find they’re cheaper than buying those little jars of spices every-time you run out.
- Pasta – SO many different types of pasta, including gluten free, bean pasta and some rainbow ones from Italy.
- Tea – I have yet to try any of their teas, but again SO many flavours. (We just won’t talk about my obsession with tea..)
- Protein Powders – I don’t know about you, but I am SO picky with my protein powder and I find a lot of the vegan ones to be quite chalky tasting, so this way I can sample some until I find one I like.
- Soap Nuts – I recently bought some to try for doing my laundry and so far I like them. A lot of laundry soaps make me itchy and it is nice to be able to reuse them for 4-6 loads and then just compost them.
Bulk Barn also offers lots of baking chocolates, snacking nuts, ‘junk food snacks’, laundry detergent, honeys, blend your own peanut butter, soaps, dog treats, dried fruit, hot chocolate – including White, cake mixes, sauce mixes for Mac and Cheese and Alfredo, and more. The only thing I haven’t found there yet are Whole Vanilla Beans.
Now I know not everyone has access to bulk, and bulk shopping isn’t for everyone, but it really nice to be able to buy just what I need and skip the plastic bag as well.
Happy Shopping! 🙂
Make sure you never miss a new post! Subscribe to our emails below