I know it can be hard to sometimes come up with ideas for gifts for people. This year, my family and I have a group chat where we all put in things that we would like to make it easier for everyone.
I really like the handmade option for a gift, but I know life can get busy, often its hard to plan ahead and some people just don’t feel they have the creativity for it. I get it as I’ve been there myself.
I will list some ideas for you creative people like me, don’t you worry.
Often Christmas gets too focused on getting people expensive gifts and less about spending it with whoever you want. Whether that be with family, your friends, your cat or dog, whoever. It should always be fun and not send you into huge debt for someone. Sometimes it’s nice to just spend Christmas opening a gift or two in the morning and then lounging in your pjs with snacks, hot cocoa and some classic movies.
Last year, my roommate and I set up the tent, watched the holiday episodes of every season of Friends and just had a good time. In the morning, we opened the stockings we made for each other and then went off to our family things. It was really nice.
We had the tiniest little tree, but it was very well loved. Made it feel more Christmasy in our little apartment.
So now onto some gift ideas!
- Handmade Soaps or Coffee Scrubs – these are great especially if you know someone who makes soap. Way more scents then your typical grocery store selections and usually look prettier too! You can find a good DIY recipe for Coffee Scrubs online. If you drink coffee, its a great way to use up coffee grounds and you most likely have all the ingredients in your kitchen already.
- Cookie or Muffin Mix – Take large bowl and mix together all the dry ingredients for one of your favourite recipes. Pour into a jar and add a cute bow. Making sure to add the name of the dish and cooking instructions. Lots of ideas on Pinterest. Here is a list of the 11 Best recipes if you need some inspiration.
- Bathbombs – another really easy DIY. You just need a silicone mould if you want to make some cute shapes. I usually just press it into a ball in my hands.
- Baked Goods – Nothing better than some fresh baked cookies or decadent brownies for someone.
- Wrist watch – Always a good universal gift for either a man or woman
- A Wallet is another universal gift idea.
- Books – I always love receiving a good book, which I find really good books hard to come by for me personally, so if you have a book lover in the family, it’s always a good one.
- Tickets – An experience is always a nice way to show someone you think of them. A play, movie, sports game, stand up comedy, even a class they always wanted to try. I got concert tickets for my 11th birthday to see Hilary Duff and they were one of the best gifts I received.
- Time – Offer your time to someone. Whether that be helping them with a project they want to get done, free babysitting so they can get a night out or just a coffee and lunch date on you. Time is the most precious gift you can give someone and fairly inexpensive.
- Personalized photo book – This is a great one if they have a big birthday/celebration coming up or just really nice for grandparents. I use Shutterfly for my previous photobook and got a really nice one for my Grandparents 50th Anniversary.
- Hobby gifts – Do they enjoy bird watching? Board Games? Hiking? Something that connects with their hobby is always a nice gift.
- Offer to teach them a skill you have that they have always been interested in. Sewing, Drawing, Painting, etc.
- Fill a Box – I always like to do a theme gift. Movie Night, Spa Afternoon or a Candy Box are always fun.
Movie: DVD, Hot Chocolate/Coffee/Tea, Popcorn, Cozy Socks.
Spa: Face Mask, Book, Tea/Coffee, Chocolate, Nail Polish, Nail File.
Candy Box: Fill with their favourite candies! Chocolate, Gummies, Hard Candies, Gum.
- Beer Making Kit – A fun gift for the beer lover in your family!
- Coffee/Tea Subscription – If you know of a Coffee Snob or a Tea Addict (like myself) these are a great gift. You can always select the frequency of deliveries and sometimes even the blends. Always fun getting a parcel in the mail you didn’t know was coming.
- Jams/Preserves – I have a surplus of Jams and Syrups from this past summer. I have about 50 jars and 6 different flavours, so they’re an easy way to add to a gift or as the gift itself in a cute little box.
I hope you get some inspiration from these ideas for this coming Holiday Season. I know it always comes creeping up so fast. Especially once we hit October! Happy Shopping, baking, and wrapping.
I have some produce bags for sale in my Etsy shop which make a good gift for the eco conscious person in your family. They also would work as little reusable gift bags too.
Have you started on your Christmas list yet?
Are you a handmade gift person or a buy them all something?
Never miss a post! Sign up for emails of the latest below.