I am a list maker. I love writing lists! So much so, that I could write them all day.
When I get a new idea, I have to write out a list of what I want to do for it, what I need to research, tips etc. I list out my meals for the week and my groceries before putting my meal ideas into my calendar. I have a list in my planner at the beginning of the week that I use as my basic list and then will often also write them into my daily list if it’s for a specific day. Now being a list maker, it only seems right to also have a list of my favourite seasonal activities and this one is for December!
Now I know if you’re in Australia or a warm country for winter, your December to-do list will most likely include a beach, *insert jealous face here* – but I am not from warm Australia sadly. Alas, my Canadian winters consist of rain and wet snow.
This year I decided to make an advent calendar for my boyfriend and I. We bought 10 small things and then hand wrote 14 other ideas for it, and I am so excited to spend the month opening them all, so some of the ideas listen below are in our advent calendar too.
Onto all the holiday ideas now!
- Drive around to see the Christmas lights
- Watch the classic movies – The Grinch, Rudolph, A Christmas Story, Home Alone, Miracle on 34th Street.
- Go Ice Skating
- Make a Gingerbread House – you can always turn this into a little competition
- Make a Snowman or other Snow Sculptures
- Baking Day – make and decorate sugar cookies or have a cookie exchange with friends
- Decorate the Tree – this may be an obvious one, but it can be really fun.
- Browse the Christmas Markets
- Check out Gingerbread Lane at the Hyatt (Vancouver, BC) – This event is on its 29th year and it is really interesting! It’s nothing huge, but there are so many gingerbread house “scenes” displayed. Everything from Cathedrals to mini towns.
- Decorate the house – you can find my Pinterest board with all my DIY decor ideas here.
- Get photos with Santa – you’re never too old for Santa Photos and some even have pet friendly photo days.
- Write out your plans and goals for the New Year – I’d like to start a jar where each week I write down something that happened to open at the end of the year or starting a new journal in the new year is always nice.
- Have a relaxing pyjama and movie day
- Make your favourite holiday drink – Eggnog, Apple Cider or Mulled Wine are my favourites
- Make paper snowflakes
- Watch the holiday parade/local tree lighting
- Make an Ornament for the tree
- Set up a Hot Cocoa bar for the season
- Find or create your own Christmas Playlist
- Read a book by the fire with a cuppa cocoa. I loved reading Educated.
- Cut down your own Christmas tree at your local tree farm
- Make your own wreath – my DIY Autumn one is here.
- DIY ugly Christmas Sweaters
- Go Snowboarding/Skiing/Snowshoeing
I hope this list gives you some ideas for your December bucket list. I definitely can’t wait for December first to roll around.
Ps. I’m working on a new project! Make sure you go follow me on Instagram and Facebook to get all the latest updates!